On December 30, 1953...
the Most Rev. Edmund J. Fitzmaurice appointed the
Rev. Charles Shields as the founding pastor of a new parish. Less than two weeks later, on January 11, 1954, the parish of Holy Spirit was formally announced.
A small wood frame church was erected on February 14, 1954. Mass was celebrated for the first time at Holy Spirit on Easter Sunday, April 14, 1954. Many worked to landscape, paint and finish cleaning this "temporary" church for its official dedication on June 6, 1954, the Solemnity of Pentecost.
On August 15, 1956, ground was broken for the new church. Construction began in November 1956. The church was formally dedicated on June 9, 1957 by the Most Rev. Hubert J. Cartwright, coadjutor Bishop of Wilmington.
The large stained glass window in the front of the church
portrays the Solemnity of Pentecost and the decent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles. The twelve stained glass windows surrounding the sanctuary depict the influence of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles. Without a doubt, a
main attraction as one enters the church is the heroic sized crucifix above the main altar.
In April and May of 1965, the bell tower and Pieta shrine
were constructed through the generosity of the Joseph Rizzo Construction Company and family. Their assistance again was vital as renovation began on the church in the spirit of the reforms of the Second Vatican Council.
In May 2007, the Statue of Our Lady, Queen of Peace was dedicated by Bishop Michael Saltarelli and now stands beside our church.
We, the Roman Catholic community of Holy Spirit Parish, are a community of believers who recognize that, through Baptism we have entered into a special relationship with the Trinity. We believe that, as members of the Body of
Christ, the Church, we are the adopted sons and daughters of the Father through our brotherhood and sisterhood with His Son, and that we are called to holiness of life through the gift of His Spirit. We rejoice that this relationship,
flowing from the font of life, has made one with the Trinity, holy through our adoption, Catholic in our incorporation into the body of Christ and bearers of the Good News of salvation to all who are open to the message.
In communion with our Holy Father and the universal Church, in union with our Bishop, and under the leadership of our pastor, we seek to live out our vocation:
To be a community of faith, mutual respect and support continuing a tradition which has spanned over fifty years. In particular, we wish to be a welcoming community to the growing number of Catholics in our area.
To share with others the Good News of salvation
announced through Jesus Christ and handed on by His body, the Church. In particular, we are sensitive to the existence of many alienated and unchurched people in our boundaries, people of other cultures and religious denominations, as well as older Catholics, who are unable to join with us but whom we would like to include in our parish.
To celebrate the mysteries of our life in Christ in a way which reflects and deepens our faith, and which promotes the active participation of the community. In particular, we would like to reach out to the youth and help all members grow in love and knowledge of our faith.
To grow in our understanding of the gospel in our conviction of its power.
To serve our sisters and brothers, especially those on the fringes of our society. In particular, we are conscious of the poor and travelers in our area.
To work for peace by seeking justice for all God’s people especially for a significant segment of our community.
Relying upon the grace of our God, who is ever faithful, and rejoicing in the many gifts bestowed upon us by the Holy Spirit, we willingly respond to the commission of Jesus Christ to build His Kingdom until He comes again. Until
that great day we seek to live, to love and to labor while trusting that God, who began the great work in us, will bring it to completion.